Monday, February 7, 2011

Things that have worked

 The Biggest Girl has moved away from the plastic kid bowls and into Fiestaware. I only wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Yes, the ever-looming possibility she may drop one (a green one!) exists, but she's old enough to learn responsibility and truly seems to appreciate eating out of the same dishes as Mom and Dad. She uses the salad plates as dinner plates and the smaller bowls for oatmeal (lots and lots of oatmeal). When the meal is over, she takes her dishes to the kitchen and then washes her hands. It's pretty amazing.


I found the recipe at one of my new favorites, The Kitchn. We had some squash in the garage that was threatening to go all rebel on us, so I cooked it up, froze some of it, and used the rest to make this delicious, nutritious bit of lasagna delight. It's strange, at first, to have a non-tomato based lasagna, but it does a great job of being unapologetically sweet. And it's got chard! Perfect meal for late winter crops and, since there's no meat, it's also great for Meatless Monday

 Pumpkin Cranberry Walnut Bread

Also roasted, pureed, and froze some pumpkin the same day as the squash. I kept some out and made an extremely tasty pumpkin bread. The recipe made two loaves, so I put cranberries in one for the Biggest Girl and chocolate chips in one for Mr. Mallard. I got the best of both world when I made a tiny sandwich with a slice of each and ended up with Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Chip Walnut Bread. de-lish. As soon as I remember which recipe I used, I'll get back to you. 

 I am making a potholder. Just saying that reminds me I need to finish it, asap. It's for another contest at Prudent Baby--this time the prize is a badass sewing machine. I was feeling super confident until I saw the most recent entries. Holy moly. These folks can sew. It's inspiring and soul-crushing all at the same time. 

I left the house and hung out in a new backyard for awhile. 
It was just what I needed.

 I taught a good friend how to sew this past weekend. And I didn't yell at her a single time. I also didn't rip the project out of her hands and tell her I'll just do it myself. I was patient and kind and encouraging and this is good news for anyone who has to/wants to work next to me in the kitchen. I am learning to be patient while other people learn. I'm proud of her for bustin' out some adorable curtains the same day she sat down at a sewing machine for the first time ever and I'm proud of myself for knowing enough to teach her how. We're a good team. 

 The Super Bowl was a sort of whatever incident here at Casa de Mallard. I did make a White Chili that was delicious, though. It wasn't as chili-y as we thought it would be, but it was tasty. Tonight, we'll be scarfing it down as a quesadilla filling on homemade tortillas. I will be very honest with you here: the homemade tortillas are not the result of a passion for cooking from scratch. Nope. They are the result of my absolute lack of interest in leaving the house for just one thing. And so I will make them. 

I also made the most delicious cornbread I've ever had in my entire life, but I have to go get dinner started now, so the recipe will have to come later. 

Mrs. Mallard, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails