Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Peanut butter jelly time!

The further we get from processed foods, the more exciting my days become. Yesterday, I mastered peanut butter. The inspiration to conquer the PB came from a very huge, very real addiction to Whole Foods' Fresh Ground Honey Roasted Peanut Butter. It's got crack in it. Lots and lots of crunchy honey crack and the nearest Whole Foods is more than an hour away. Oh, woe is us! We want (read: need) the Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, but taking the time (and money) to drive all the way to Whole Foods just for the greatest peanut butter ever invented became more than we could justify. 

Enter the Cuisinart. 

I can do this. I can put stuff in the 'Nart and turn it on. I've got skills.

 Dry roasted peanuts from the bulk section of our local co-op that I brought home in a reused one-quart yogurt container, thereby eliminating any waste. Rock it!

 A couple minutes later, the peanuts look like this. Last time, I stopped here and thought, "I've done it! I've done it!" I hadn't, though. You have to keep going.

 A couple minutes more and you've got some actual peanut butter. 

That means we've got homemade peanut butter slathered on
homemade bread for our peanutbutterjellytime

Added bonus: no added sugar or preservatives. No palm oil, either, and that's nice because it's nasty stuff that's no good for you or the planet. Just dry roasted peanuts and a few minutes spent peeking in the food processor to see if it's done. Store it in the fridge and revel in the no-stir goodness of your tasty creation. Our days of mass-produced peanut butter have just come to a glorious, delicious end. 

Next stop: making our own honey roasted peanuts. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails